Thursday, May 16, 2013

A memorable day at Bombay!

We went to Mumbai which was Bombay then in 1994. I was quite impressed by the vastness of the city. I even asked my uncle where the end point of the city was. He was quite stumped by the question and praised me saying it was an intelligent question. Among all the places I visited the most memorable one was "Haji Ali Dargah"  .

The Dargah contains the tomb of  Sayed Peer Haji Ali Shah Bukhari. The Dargah was constructed just off the shore of   Worli. I found the structure majestic and heavenly. It felt magical to walk in to the sea. I felt like I was in some fairy tale. The waves beating up the rocks and the water drops hitting our faces now and then as if to say “hi” was a pleasant welcoming sight! It was heavily crowded that day. People from various regions, religions and countries visited to get blessings. I was overwhelmed on seeing people from around the globe. For an hour it felt like we all belonged to the universal religion of love. We were lucky as it was Friday. We enjoyed Sufi music and Qawwalis inside the Dargah.

We took many snaps with our humble Konica camera. It was a hot humid day and so we couldn’t sit for long. I was dead scared by sea or any water body in those days. I always felt the wave would eat me up. The fear subsided now but it has not vanished! I dared to sit on the rocks that day where waves were ferocious.  The right most in pony tail is me in the picture which was taken on the way back. From left- my uncle, dressed in red- Dolly my cousin, my brother and cousin brother with water bottle around his neck.
"This post is my entry for the'One Picture From My Photo Album' contest conducted by My Yatra Diary and CupoNation.

I am nominating "Nandana", "Naina Madan" and "Janaki" to take part in this ‘One Picture From My Photo Album’ contest. Thank You

15 comments:

  1. Elders duck the questions they don't answer to by saying such things eh? Ah, the Konica camera days...I remember that Konica ad-girl who wore a white and blue tennis dress and posed.

    All the kids expressions are priceless, especially your cousin brother's :P Your uncle does look stumped and you look happy for making him so :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahha ya the que was not asked at that moment but expression sure look so :) !

      ya konica- most fav camera it was !!
      Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  2. Those childhood sightseeing trips are the best. Our perspectives are so clear and so fresh, that is why those impressions, like those photos, leave such a lasting memory. Nice post, Afshan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Cynthia true ! Everything Is enticing in those days and we always have a sharp and keen eye
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. WOW!! Such an old photo!!!!! And yes these bachpan ki trips remain etched in our memory for some reason or the other :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya childhood trips r forever memorable
      Thanks for the comment smita

      Delete
  4. Nice memory Afshan. Haji Ali mosque is quite unique - haven't been inside though I've passed by thousands of times. Maybe one visit to Mumbai I will get to go inside. I had a konica too - it was a gift from my maternal grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ys I went only once and it was quite memorable. As it is in the middle of the sea I was surprised ! :)
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. I love old photographs. They have this texture that is missing from digital photos.
    Never been to Mumbai though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true ! I love them too
      I went to Mumbai as I had relatives there :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice article. you can check on my online shopping website
    click Baggout .com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this blog packed with a lot of information. Stopping by your blog
    assisted me to get what I was looking for..Visit Shoppal and Coupondesh are all about deals, discounts and coupons. It aggregates latest and updated coupons and offers from top Indian online shopping portals and present them in one go to all its subscribers.

    The weekly and monthly alerts keep visitors updated of the limited time offers and save them from missing the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about this ? I always love to hear back. A comment or a brickbat boosts me to write more but the mud slinging shall be promptly vacuumed.

Thanks for your time :)

"When God Spoke to Me!"

Is it for the love of God, you do what you do? Or is it your hunger to wake up something sleeping within you? What do you mean to do with th...