Cricket is the largest religion in India. Cricket, Bollywood and music stand hand in hand to unite India. Our Cricket frenzy nation forgets all the boundaries, quarrels and miseries when our players get on to the pitch. 83 movie celebrates the historic moment of India's first ever World cup win over West Indies. The movie mainly focuses on Kapil Dev, the then captain of India who steered the team towards Victory. The adrenaline rush, cricket being the priority to most of the Indians, the sportsmanship are all well portrayed. Even if it was little slow, it did transport me to the year when India tasted victory. I especially loved the real frames blended with reel frames. Real cricketers being shown once in a while through out the movie would make the cricket fans happy!
The scene where the present day Kapil Dev seated in the stadium catches the ball saying , "Nice shot Kapil", was quite endearing, so were the scenes where Mohinder Amarnath appreciates himself! Ranveer gets in to the skin of Kapil but at times the dialogue delivery seems quite artificial. The English language spoken by Ranveer/Kapil however feels natural and generates some laughs. The slogan , "Like people says, taste the success once… tongue want more.” -Kapil Dev, 1983 would stay with me 😀
|Image source : here|
All other roles played by Tahir Bhasin (Sunil Gavaskar), Hardy Sandhu (Madan lal), Jiva ( Krishnamachari Srikanth), Pankaj Tripathi as PR Man Singh and many more characters are quite realistic. Deepika as Romi Bhatia is pretty and acted as a great support to both Ranveer / Kapil Dev though she didn't have much to deliver. They tried to make the premise of the movie as authentic as possible by showing even Salma Sultan as the news reader of DoorDarshan in 80s :) The movie would make you travel down the memory lane as it shows how the nation watched the matches together by halting all their tasks, adjusting antennas, standing outside the shops on displayed TV screens and discussed just the game for months!
|Image source : here|
I loved the following scenes:
- A pregnant woman who goes in to the labor in mid of the match, asks how many wickets are taken by India in the final match! 😊
- Kids aspiring to become like Indian team players. We even get a glimpse of master blaster Sachin Tendulkar!
- The Haryana Hurricane Kapil Dev smashes the glasses many times while creating his world record of 175 runs. I am not sure if the smashing really happened but it made me so happy as if I lived that moment.
- Even in mid of religious strife in the country, cricket unites all.
- Srikanth/Jivas monologue during a lunch gathering is quite good and gives you some laughs.
Lets wish and pray we create such historic moment again, after all taste success once tongue wants more 💗😊