Saturday, April 12, 2014

"K" for "KFC" - Kentucky Fried Chicken

KFC or Kentucky Fried Chicken is a fast food restaurant chain which every one would be knowing. You can go to wiki and read - How it was started by Harland Sanders initially at Corbin, Kentucky. It is an interesting story like any success story. Mr. Sanders had to taste defeat before he could enjoy the finger licking good taste of the success :).  KFC now has branches all over the world. The first KFC franchise was opened in Utah and later was started in India, China, Australia , Newzealand, Japan, UK, USA and many other countries. In 1964 Sanders sold it to John Y. Brown, Jr. and Jack C. Massey. From then it is passed between many hands and as of now it is owned by Tricon Global Restaurants, which later changed its name to Yum! Brands.
  
Image source : here
KFC's specialty is pressure fried chicken pieces, seasoned with Sanders' recipe of 11 herbs and spices. Constituents of the recipe is a trade secret. Along with this they have side dishes like salads, french fries, burgers, softdrinks , mojitos and many more food items which are modified and localized. In India you will get indianised KFC with Indian spices and tinge added to them.So this is just a historical overview of KFC.

 This post is neither a tribute to KFC nor to Mr.Sanders( not that he doesn't deserve it) but I remembered KFC today as my husband lovvvvvvvvvvves KFC. He is mad about the place and he is the reason I started eating lot of junk and gained weight post wedding :-( ! Of course now I slightly watch what I eat :P. I some how don't like KFC cuisines. I see people rushing in queues to get hold of their fried chicken served in the unique KFC cardboard bucket. People actually lick their fingers , hence the caption - Finger lickin good just fits. How ever I never fancied the huge buckets of KFC with chicken wings or any other items. Then one fine day in Gurgaon after watching a movie we went to KFC as my husband saw one outlet in the same mall. I ordered chicken pop corn and they just melted in my mouth . They were crispy , crunchy and soft at the same time. The dips and sauces were delicious too and that particular day I too licked my fingers. I also love the mojitos they make but they are too pricy. Once we made a Virgin mojito at home which didn't even cost 1/4th of it. Nevertheless I love the mojitos and KFC Krushers.  For Indians they have special meal combos which have spicy rice too and in both veg and non veg :P . I must admit , I loved their marketing technique. Just like they Indianize the food here I guess in every country their menu is tweaked!
  • I like their ads. They are creative , have emotional connect and also will make you hungry and unlike McDonalds and some other outlets the food showed in the ads is not different from the actual food you buy. The ad food and original food more or less look the same in case of KFC.
  • I like the way they treat the customers. I love the combos and their french fries.
  • I love to watch Imran when he eats them with extreme kiddish enthusiasm :)
  • The USP of KFC and the secret recipe is intriguing. People try and make similar versions but can never make the real KFC chicken. Many outlets have sprung up with similar names like ABC, AFC (yes I saw them in Hyderabad :P ) but failed in creating the same impact on eaters!
  • The success story is phenomenal and the way the branches multiplied is worth a loud applause. It is the second largest food chain in the world. Next to Mc Donalds I guess. In many streets of major cities and on highways you can find KFC.
  • KFC helps people during tours and travels. If there is nothing around which is edible , this comes to rescue.
  • Of-course being an Indian I like the way food is tweaked to suit people's palatability here.
  • My only problem is it is "Fried" chicken and even if it tastes goood it is toooo bad for health. So people please don't make it a habit to eat KFC.
Sparkling vanilla blue - A new krusher in KFC
    KFC Rice bowl

    Below is an inspiring quote by Mr.Sanders and one of their creative ads which I like! As we speak my husband is relishing his KFC combo. Eat good but stay fit and stay health people :)
    Source : here
                                                 
    Love is forever ad- Shows how old KFC is and emotionally connects audience

                                                     
    This is my 11th post for "A to Z blogging Challenge 2014"
    Happy Weekend everyone :)

    28 comments:

    1. KFC RICEBOWL is my absolute favourite!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. That KFC ricebowl looks delicious! I am a vegetarian, but you have made me very hungry at 7 AM in the morning! You write wonderfully about KFC!!! thank you! jean xox

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Jean there r vegetarian versions too and that mojito is defntly good :)
        Thanks for dropping by !

        Delete
    3. Another reason I want to go to India... There's only 1 KFC (3 hours away) in the whole country where I live. I heard once the name changed from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC because they eventually wanted to sell baked chicken... that was a while ago though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Only one KFC ! then u shud come to India coz here there r so many KFCs that u get bored :) thanks for visiting my blog Ida. Never heard about that baked chicken part!! I remember reading u last year !
        Good luck with the challege.

        Delete
    4. It is the same at our place too. Husband and son simply love the chicken buckets but I for one, am always disappointed. Didn't like their burgers and the rice bowl was a disaster too and the Krushers have too much of crushed ice. So except for the Fiery Grilled Chicken nothing works for me at KFC!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ya my hubby loves it too. Dont know some times I find it raw :( Krushers- I loved and rice bowl also I liked . Chicken pop corn is my fav too. I heard fiery grilld is good

        Delete
    5. The best sentence of the post, for me, is: "I love to watch Imran when he eats them with extreme kiddish enthusiasm :)". Being a vegetarian, I am unable to identify with the love of chicken. But I can identify with the love of crushers and Mojito. Nice post.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. hehe . Ya thanks. I even dedicated this post to Imran :D on FB !
        ya for the same reason KFC has come up with many veg items for India. haha.. U can see people wearing green Tees too along with those who wear red for NV

        Delete
    6. I love their fried chicken but the rest of the stuff is just about okay. Nothing to write home about. :D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ya every one has their choice in KFC. That is their success mantra I guess !
        Thanks for ur time Dagny

        Delete
    7. Contrary to popular belief, if you fry chicken at the correct temperature you only add about 10 calories per serving as compared to cooking it in other ways. I'm not sure exactly how KFC cooks their chicken, but it may not be as bad for you as you think. It's cool hearing how the menu differs in India as compared to where I live, in the U.S.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Really ! I never knew this. Thanks for sharing the info Patrick. I hope it is not as bad as I think.
        Ya menu differs A LOT in India.
        Thanks for ur time. I appreciate ur visit. Good luck with the challenge. Reading U now !

        Delete
    8. My husband also loooooves KFC. I like the taste, but every time I eat it I feel sick afterwards so I prefer not to eat there. So he eats there when I'm not around!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh thats sad :( Ya some times people are sensitive to chicken cooked outside. If u fall sick u shud Avoid.
        Thanks a ton Melanie for dropping by
        Good luck with the challenge <3

        Delete
    9. Can you believe it, KFC is something our sleepy city has! But, erm, I haven't been there yet :P
      Loved reading your post on KFC :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. KFC is every where in India no ? :)
        Do visit once. Its worth it. If not for chicken atleast for mojito / softy ice cream u shud go!

        Delete
    10. Oh, this is a good post. I ate one piece of KFC chicken last Saturday. It was the first time since Christmas Eve 2013 when I was out late, shopping. I enjoyed reading this post, and think Indianising the food to meeet the tastes of the culture is a great idea too. Thank you for stopping by my blog @ http://www.writer-way.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya thats a business technique to meet the demands of people as per the country. Thanks for reading my post as well Michelle.
        Good luck with the challenge

        Delete
    11. I don't eat at KFC very often (once every couple of years, I guess), but it's certainly delicious! In America, we eat mashed potatoes and gravy and cole slaw with our chicken at KFC. Oh, and biscuits! And I prefer the extra crispy chicken. It's funny to me that you can get mojitos there. Only soft drinks here, and Pepsi products at that (dislike! - I am a Diet Coke girl).

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Mashed potatoes ---- Yumm. they r good too. we get them in pizza corners in India. Never heard of biscuits. How come u dont hav a mojito there ? That's strange as I thought mojito is KFC's speciality
        THanks for ur time Dyanne. Good to know your KFC experience too !

        Delete
      2. Biscuits are like rolls, only made with baking powder instead of yeast. They are a type of quick bread, since you don't have to wait for them to rise. They are also made with a lot of fat in them, shortening or butter, and eaten with butter. KFC butters the tops of the them after they are baked. I wish I could send you some!

        Delete
    12. Thanks for your comment in my blog.
      There is a KFC in my city, but I have never been there.

      The KFC rice bowl looks delicious.

      ReplyDelete
    13. I have tried the french fries and they are yum. No chicken for me. :)

      ReplyDelete
    14. Nothing beats Mc D when it comes to french fries but for chicken.. its always KFC (licking lips)

      ReplyDelete

    What do you think about this ? I always love to hear back. A comment or a brickbat boosts me to write more but the mud slinging shall be promptly vacuumed.

    Thanks for your time :)

    "When God Spoke to Me!"

    Is it for the love of God, you do what you do? Or is it your hunger to wake up something sleeping within you? What do you mean to do with th...