Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"H" howls "Horror"

Do you piss in your pants when you watch a horror movie ? Are you scared to death when you hear some one narrate a real spooky experience? Does the thought of a ghost make you jittery? Do you believe in paranormal or supernatural stuff? If you ask me my answer is YES to all of these.

 I feel if positive and negative things happen, good and bad happen, peace and war happen, life and death happen, may be God and Satan or good and evil also happen. I also shit in my pants while watching horror movies but I thoroughly enjoy them may be due to the thrill and the spooky aura they create around me. There are times when I was sleep deprived for 2-3nights in a row after watching a horror movie! This recently happened after watching the Conjuring. Yes, some people found the movie funny but I have bitten my nails and I have dug my nails in to my husband's arms too. Added to that was a power cut in my area through out the night which was like an unwanted special effect after watching the movie :( . The mere fact that it is a true experience made me an insomniac for few days. In the movie (which happened in realit) a couple who are real life demonologists save a family from the wrath of demons. The whole concept creates a dull gloomy atmosphere around you. You won't be able to watch atleast 2-3 scenes without closing your eyes. Sound effects do multiply the spook quotient. All in all the movie gave me chills and the doll Annabelle haunted me in my dreams for few days. I was scared even during the day time when my husband left to office and I had to be alone at home.
Annabelle from The Conjuring

This was not the first time I was scared but this was definitely the most memorable horror movie experience in the recent past.and when I hear "real" life experiences the "reel" life imaginations just add to my fear.

Last year I had a conversation with a friend(an elderly man) who bought a flat in a posh area (where usually cine stars live) in the city. I am not disclosing the area or the apartment name as I was requested not to. I am changing the names too as I don't feel like revealing the actual names. So, he bought that beautiful flat and started living alone. Sometimes his kids do visit him.

That apartment is sparsely populated. Most of them have bought the flats and have flown abroad. So more than 50% of the flats are unoccupied. An old couple lives in the flat below to his and some other family lives in the same wing. This guy usually comes back late in the night as he is a party animal. On one fine night when he was sleeping he heard noises in the hall. Noises as in not some sounds you hear in the calm of the night. They are crystal clear voices as if a group is sitting and talking. "It was tough to decode the speech but I definitely could hear something," he told me.

That definitely made me thoughtful. I said what anyone who hears it says, "You would have imagined them. " "It is just your fear doing tricks." "It is all illusion." So on so forth. Strangely that guy was not as scared as I was . He said he lived in Havelis (forts) and experienced much worse. He gave many other details which if I write this post will become huge!

So coming back to the story he said in the chatting conversation we had that he is ignoring those voices. He was invisible for 15 days. After that when I pinged he said the house is filled with negativity and that something is wrong as there was too much of personal strife and fights with in the family. I asked him will he be able to vacate. He said he is just trying to push his limits and see if things may change. After that for 20 days or so, again a no show. He finally showed up and this time he seemed really pissed. He said some one saw a hooded figure just near his door and his car in the early morning and he has not seen anything so far. He also said that one fine day when he was outside, his maid was working at home. He usually gives keys to her as he trusts her. She finishes work and leaves. While she was working she heard some one knocking the door in this guy's tone calling out her name. She answered the door but no one was there. This happened twice or thrice and she could hear loud laughter and giggles. She left everything and fled to her home. He told me that he is thinking of selling the flat. I requested him to do it asap. Needless to say I was sleepless that night. I bugged my hubby with questions- Do ghosts exists ? Are there demons around us whom we can't see?

After 10 days he was again online. He said he spoke to the owner and the dealer and he will be selling the flat. I asked him, if some thing happened after that ? He said, "You will be scared if I say everything."

I like an idiot insisted, " Please say what happened?"

He: "One evening my son came to visit me. I suddenly started coughing. Bouts of cough. I couldn't resist and went to the nearest wash basin and I spluttered blood. It was not stopping. My son got scared. Packed his stuff. He shouted while leaving, "Please come out of the house pa. I will be in basement. Please come out." and he left.

I gasped and was reading it raptly. Honestly I was scared to even talk to him that second :( .

He went to doc but all the reports were clear and there was no abnormality but when he came back home, the coughing started again and it was uncontrollable. After a day or two he totally vacated the place and sold it at loss. He is now in another place with no spooky experiences as of now. I haven't spoken much after that but the thought doesn't wade off.  He would not have lied. Even if I think he would have imagined the voices, what about the blood ? I don't want to analyze the facts and fiction here but all I can say is I sometimes feel there for sure is some unseen aura around us.

Even after hearing many such real life stories, I did not stop my self from watching horror movies. Making a horror movie and actually scaring people is really challenging. Some unforgettable scary movies I watched are- "Paranormal activity" (All parts), "The Orphanage", "The Others," "The Grudge","The Exorcist" and many other Indian movies (Telugu and Hindi- Raat , Avunu, Pizza are few among them).

There are few more in my to watch list. Two movies from that list are ----  "Insidious," & "Blair witch project,". I also want to read the novel- "The shining" by Stephen King and watch the movie too.


Empty rooms , stair cases, huge villas and bungalows, empty corridors or roads and illusions caused due to light or fog scare me some times.What about you ?
Image source : here

Do you believe in Supernatural stuff?
Have you ever experienced or heard any thing? Please do share your experiences :)

Recently the below story felt so real that I was watching behind me while reading it. It is due to the fact that it will strike a chord due to the technology (whatsapp) linkage  :)
http://www.storiesforyourscreen.com/annie96-is-typing/


This is my 8th post for letter "H" -  "A to Z blogging Challenge 2014" .

 

Many "G" posts are "Good" but few which you may want to read are :

Prathima's Grandparents' post helped me revive memories.

Cynthia highlights an important topic- Garbage speaks


A beautiful tribute to Gulzar- By Janaki Nagaraj

Another series of college chronicles by RajaRupaGupta- G gobbles Grand Feast

Lastly don't think much about this post. Stay positive and happy which will shoo away the negative vibes :)


33 comments:

  1. Phew..I thought of not reading it completely but the curious mind doesn't listen to me. I am spooked man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) :) Am glad u read it first.
      DO u still love me ? LOL
      thanks for ur time here

      Delete
  2. Please watch 1408 too.. Lovely movie

    I saw conjuring with a friend in the cinema, and there was one moment when I ended up uttering a curse word.. I wasn't the only to do so..

    Then I couldn't sleep that night, and felt that someone was behind the curtains or in the loo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ):) hehe ya I shouted many times too. I LITERALLY shouted. and there was a power cut when I was watching
      that felt SHIT

      Delete
  3. Aiiiiiieeee I DEFINITELY don't watch supernatural or horror flicks for that very reason - I believe too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) hmmmm same here lizzie but I just can't stop my self from watching
      Thanks for visiting my blog

      Delete
  4. I watched The Conjuring in the hall with hand on my eyes! I mean I'm scared as well as not...I don't know...:D But loved reading this

    Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( U R BRAVE
      I watched at home but hav pissed in my pants :(
      Glad u enjoyed the post

      Delete
  5. I don't watch either. Atleast not at night. I have a highly active imagination and ghosts do not help the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D I have active imagination too. I see them everywhere but I watch :(

      Delete
  6. Very well written Afshan. Couldn't tear myself away till I finished reading it. I guess there are many things we don't understand as yet.
    Thank you for featuring my post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) hehe Glad It was actlly spooky :) Coz writing spooky stuff is challenging too :)
      Ur posts- am in love with them, hence the feature

      Delete
  7. My kids are huge horror fans...and they watch covering their eyes and also sometimes muting the sound. :) thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I do that too :) Covering eyes and muting
      I jump off the seat but I DO WATCH :D

      Delete
  8. The conjuring was so awesome!
    BUT BUT BUT You must watch insidious 1 and 2...and also the shining! Blair witch project sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it ? :( Some one told Blair witch is so good. it is black and white movie right ?
      am scared to watch insidious . Some day I will

      Delete
  9. That friend 's experience is really spooky ...I would surely die out of fright !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely cannot watch horror movies, much to The Husband's disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe Ur husb is my new frnd then ;) we all shud go to a horror movie when u next come to hyd :P

      Delete
  11. I love horror movies but I hate it when I have to spend time alone in the night. I usually sleep with the lights on when I sleep alone :) But I loved The Conjuring. I saw it in theater and the story is based on a true incident. I have never experienced any supernatural experiences,so I dont believe in them and that's what I say when I sleep alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe same pinch. I don't believe strongly but I do hav mild supernatural exp- may be in some other post
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  12. I am terrified of horror films. As a child, I would snuggle close to my mom to shut out the nightmares. As a mother, I am now expected to keep my kids feeling safe when they are assailed by nightmares. I find that I can perform the role better if I am not terrified myself. That is why, no horror movies for me.
    Afshan, you describe the horrific episode so well, I had gooseflesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ! Sorry to scare u cynth. Ya I too get scared and suffer from nightmares and run to mom's room even now but I end up watching horror movies :)

      Delete
  13. I hate horror movies. Fear is one of my least favorite emotions, unfortunately. :-S

    ReplyDelete
  14. U evil girl....u have got me all scared now. M alone at home too. Btw. ..till date....my scariest experience has been after watching Paranormal activity :-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Conjuring _ A movie I have still not watched fully, scared the hell out of me!
    Scary post :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I gave up spooky books & movies when I couldn't sleep for 3 weeks after reading a Stephen King novel. Real life is scary enough. At least, mine has been.

    Visiting from A to Z Challenge. Enjoyed your post & will return again. Drusilla (http://lovedasif.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I believe and what you wrote is so scary! I have seen objects move with no explanation ( I was a 16 year old)...I think now that it was a poltergeist, and I had a very screwed up friend who could have been causing it. Otherwise the was NO rational explanation. When I moved into the house I lived in, I checked it for ghosts. I didn't want to live in a house which was haunted! xox jean

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I was a kid, I liked staying up late on Friday nights to watch Shock Theater. It showed old movies featuring Dracula, Frankenstein, and such. But now, no thank-you. The last scary movie I saw was one of those Chucky movies, maybe "Child's Play"?? Every time I went into my daughters' bedrooms and saw their dolls, I was creeped out and just wanted to throw their dolls away. Of course, I didn't, but still I haven't been able to trust a smiling doll since.

    Returning the visit from A to Z~
    Wendy at Jollett Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in for horror movies! Even though my family makes fun of me that after watching a horror movie, i won't go to kitchen by myself to get water bc I think someone might be there.
    I don't believe in ghosts/spirits but movies do leave an effect.
    My fav?
    Click! as it leaves the person in a limbo.

    xx
    www.holdingajournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a true story? EEEEEEK! I'll never get to sleep tonight!

    I am NOT a fan of horror movies, but I have seen "The Shining," and you MUST see it!

    REDRUM!

    Signed, Mrs. Torrance
    (let me know when you watch the movie!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not a fan of horror movie at all! But the daughter loved Ghost hunters and we'd cuddle and watch together!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about this ? I always love to hear back. A comment or a brickbat boosts me to write more but the mud slinging shall be promptly vacuumed.

Thanks for your time :)

"When God Spoke to Me!"

Is it for the love of God, you do what you do? Or is it your hunger to wake up something sleeping within you? What do you mean to do with th...