Friday, April 11, 2014

"J" for 'J.K.Rowling"

J.K.Rowling- If you haven't heard her name you sure must be a Rip van winkle and just woke up from your slumber after some 20-30 years. For me she is a magician who changed my life! I love JKR so much that some times I feel "R" comes after J and K in English alphabets. Now we all know that J.K.Rowling whose actual name is "Joanne Rowling" is the author of Harry Potter fantasy series. People who never read the books some times ask me, " How can one possibly change a life by writing childrens' books ? " What they don't understand is,  the Harry potter series are not just children's books. They fascinate kids , adults and oldies equally if you "actually" open and read them. It amuses me how people compare the books with LOTR and say that she anyway has plagiarized and some even conclude that people who like Harry potter are kiddish and immature. It is OK to not read the books and not like them but people who ridicule the book lovers- I seriously pity them as they are missing "magic" in their life. 
Image source: here
Below are few reasons why I love her persona and her books:
  • YES the books are magical. They take you to a world from where you don't feel like coming back. The world is unreal, yet feels so real!!!
  • Even if every thing is magical and charismatic, in every book it is highlighted that nothing is more important than love , friendship , wits and hard-work. Even "MAGIC" needs to be earned.
  • The unforgettable characters:  How can one forget Harry's round spectacles which are repaired by Hermione who uses the  charm "reparo" during their first ride to Hogwarts?  How can any one forget the burly image of Hagrid? the malicious look of Malfoy ? the puppy face of Ron? the strange creatures which almost feel real - Buck Beak the Hippogriff, Fluffy the three headed dog and the serene yet penetrating look our DumbleDore has.? It will easily take 100 posts if I have to discuss each character separately. May be we can even do a challenge next year - 26 unforgettable Harrypotter characters, starting from A to Z.
  • The trio and their strong bond of friendship: You desperately want to be one of them or at-least a part of their group. It is not an exaggeration if I say that these books helped me solve many ego issues and I learnt how to deal with broken friendships/ relationships.
  • The unconditional love: My most favorite character is Snape and his love for Lilly Potter always makes me fall for him!
  • The adventures encountered by the trio and the sheer fact that the story revolves around the school.
  • Uniqueness of each character: Every character has a zing attached to it. If Ron is an expert chess player, Harry is good with Patronus. Hermione is an ingenious witch. Neville shows excellence in herbology. Sirius black's valor is infectious (Oh! How much I LOVE HIM) . Voldemort's Nagini and powers are threatening. No character is unimportant. No page is unreadable and every book is worth a read on the day 1 it gets released.
Actually I can go on and on and on , on this but I shall stop here.All in all I love the books so much that I can never part with them.
HP fans camping at Trafalgar square for the Premiere




"Some" facts to show my perennial love on J.K.Rowling and the books:

  • I longed and I am still waiting eagerly to get a letter from Hogwarts.
  •  I actually started looking doubtfully at owls, cats, toads and even snakes. Who knows from where they came? 
  • I read and re-read all the parts and I have attended HP quizzes and even framed the questions for the same. 
  • I created an album on FB with some 150 odd pics collected from all movies during the release of HP 7-2. Needless to say the fans were overwhelmed.
  • These books kept me sane during my not so happening college days. They were my best friends. A Harry potter book always used to be under my desk, on my bed, under the pillow or on my study chair. I don't regret the grades which were a bit low or the fact that I am not a topper. 
  • The quotes and dialogues which are hard to forget - Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    - Quote by Albus Dumbledore
  • If someone takes the books and forgets to give them back to me, I revise all my charms and curses and in my mind, I use them.
  • I read the Deathly hallows during my first job days. It was my first month in office (in 2007) and fans around me did the same. I didn't sleep for 2-3 nights to finish the book. HP is my honest companion during all those days when I feel low or sleepless (even now).
  •  If someone is a Harry Potter fan, he/she instantly becomes my friend :)
  • My blog name - The pensive is inspired by the Pensieve of Harrypotter
  • I cried when the movies ended. YES I DID. Only a HP fan will understand this. Even now in the months of July and November I keep looking at I MAX imagining the usual Harry potter poster which used to adorn the magnificent theater
 These are just few facts. My love for HP has no boundaries actually. Thanks to J.K.Rowling who gifted me a great childhood and happening hostel days and who makes me always feel young. Harry potter to me is just not a book, it is an emotion, it is an expression, it is an integral part of my body, mind and soul!

Thanks to her as I developed interest towards writing/ blogging. If any day I write a book the first and foremost source of inspiration behind it  will be J.K.R. This fact always fascinates me that - in 1990, while she was on a four-hour-delayed train trip from Manchester to London, the idea for a story of a young boy attending a school of wizardry "came fully formed" into her mind (source: wiki).
 Thanks to the delay as it gave birth to this golden idea. She faced many hardships and now her rags to riches story inspires many who want to be like her :)

Do check out her inspiring speech at 'The Fringe Benefits of Failure, and the Importance of Imagination' .

Please check out the video here - TED TALK
I have bought Casual Vacancy and Cuckoo's calling (The NON HP books) . I am yet to read them.

Many rumors are being spread by fans that she is writing an 8th book. I just wish it happens for real. I read some where that , "The 48-year-old author has agreed to a big-screen adaptation of her 2001 fictitious textbook Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them used by students at the exclusive Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry." - Hoping that it is not a fake news!

 
The emotional and nostalgic moment during the last premiere of Harrypotter :'(

 HP Maniacs like me, please do share your thoughts and any other "real" news you came across about future movies!


This is my 9 3/4th  err the 10th post for "A to Z blogging Challenge 2014" ;-)

30 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoy Harry Potter movies. It's enchanting and endearing. A bit scary at times too. I had read a couple of books too. More than all that, I really admire JK Rowling. I have watched the video of er delviering the commencement address at Harvard and came away impressed. I respect her talent and her never say die spirit. People usually quote the rags-to-riches story, but they don't quote the hardships encountered along the way thus misleading people to focus only on the riches part. Good post, Afshan. BTW, how could you name the one who-is-not-to-be-named?! Beware of inviting his wrath now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like Harry potter am not scared of VOLDEMORT's wrath any more :)
      am glad to see the first comment from u. ya her persona and her books both are equally inspiring.
      Thanks for ur time here

      Delete
  2. I started watching Harry Potter very late. Initially I was not that interested but once I watched one part of it, I was hooked. I am yet to read the books although I did read Deathly Hallows. It's the sheer brilliance of JKR in creating such a magical world full of awesome yet believable characters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U shud read the books starting from book 1. I am sure u will love it.
      Thanks for being here

      Delete
  3. Harry Potter rules. I rest my case :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad u love HP too sid !!
      Hy five

      Delete
    2. Harry Potter rules. JKR rocks. We fans are the cat's whiskers.

      :D

      Delete
  4. The first time I heard about your blog, 'The Pensive', the first thing that came to mind was the Pensieve in Harry Potter. I have read every HP book as it was released and completely loved it. I love how, in spite of all the problems he has, Harry manages to stay positive and open to new friendships rather than sulking and brooding in a corner. My favorite quote from the HP books has got to be this: "It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities." It has been a while now, so I think I'll go and start reading again :). Thank you for reminding us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hug and hyfive from a fellow HP fan
      U nailed it Fabida :) I indeed was inspired by Pensieve and hence named by blog as Pensive which means (reflecting deep or serious thought.) Thanks for reminding me that. Added that point to the post. I love that quote too - a looooot
      and love many other quotes which needs a different post all together :) Another interesting one - Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.

      Read my other post here - if time permits http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.in/2013/08/cannot-call-it-end-of-epic.html

      Delete
  5. Am not much of a HP fan...hats off that you know so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry potter to me is just not a book, it is an emotion, it is an expression, it is an integral part of my body, mind and soul!

    Hi-five on that !! :) Awesome read Afshan !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maynlg : welcome to my blog. Thanks for reading
      Am glad u could feel connected to this post <3

      Delete
    2. Afshan !! I am a regular reader of your blog !! :P Its me, Mayura !!! :P :P

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love her and find her life as magical as her books..I wish I could have alteast 0.00001% of the imagination she has!

    Latest A2Z Challenge Post-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish too that I had 1/10000th of imagination she has :(
      Thanks for acknowledging the post

      Delete
  8. The Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite HP book. I feel your excitement and how much you love the HP books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats my fav part toooo only due to Sirius black. Thanks for being here...

      Delete
  9. Haha,...cute post afshan....but I am one of those people who haven't read the HP series or watched a single movie. But yes, I have nothing against it. I just didn't enjoy it when I started reading the first part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I am a huge fan of Harry Potter books and movies. I re-read the Deathly Hallows many times hoping new chapters would appear from magic and the book would never end. I am really thankful to J.K Rowling to write Harry potter book series :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with what you said here! I am a huge fan of Harry Potter, I even went to a Harry Potter museum here and bought chopsticks that looks like Hermione's wand. I read the first 5 books within a week, reading most of them in one night each. Then I reread them all before a movie or a book was about to come out, to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your post.Actually I came across your blog because of the name "Pensive" only. I am currently rereading HP series for the nth time as it act as a stress buster for me. I am one of those persons who are still waiting for their Hogwarts Letter :p

    Read me here http://wingardiumleviosaaa.blogspot.in/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I loved this post so much because your enthusiasm shines through and it makes everyone want to read these great books!
      love, jean xox!

      Delete
  13. I have not read HP, don't know why. But, have watched the movies. You truly are a HP fan, aren't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read 'The Casual Vacancy " & loved the minute details she writes.My kid is an HP fan.She has the whole collection & the dvds too !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes. Harry Potter books are magical. I love and admire J.K.Rowling for writing them.
    Just like you cried after the movies, I dreaded the day the last book would come and the last page read.
    I may not be able to answer your quiz, but I am a fan of the books big time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Afshan, this post should have been on of your first posts, ain't it? Its amazing to see such craziness and love for Harry Potter. I haven't read any of his books, but have been contemplating ever since. (after reading your post, head hangs in shame. :( ) This gives me a push. I will read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son loved the books and movies, both. I have to admit that I have not done either....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love HP. My husband and I are in the process of watching the entire series again (we do so every couple of months or so). Earlier this year we visited Edinburgh, Scotland, including the coffee shop where she wrote most of the books. Very exciting :) I am kicking myself for not getting a picture of me sitting at a table with pen and paper writing something amazing.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about this ? I always love to hear back. A comment or a brickbat boosts me to write more but the mud slinging shall be promptly vacuumed.

Thanks for your time :)

"When God Spoke to Me!"

Is it for the love of God, you do what you do? Or is it your hunger to wake up something sleeping within you? What do you mean to do with th...